While considering asphalt shingles for your next roofing replacement project, you should be aware of all the advantages and disadvantages of choosing this particular roofing material. After all, this is one of the biggest investments you will ever make in your home.
Advantages of Shingle Roofing
- Asphalt shingles are the affordable roofing material available on the market.
- They work well on a steep-sloped structures.
- Versatile, they adapt easily to different applications.
- Easy to cut, fasten and fit, shingles are considered the easiest roofing materials to install (and ease of installation keeps the cost down).
- Asphalt shingles don’t require specialized accessories for roof edges, wall terminations, and chimney or vent flashings.
- They require low maintenance and can be walked on without damaging the material.
- Although asphalt is not the lightest type of material, asphalt roof shingles are lightweight. They are compatible with most roof types.
- They come in a wide range of prices, sizes and colors.
- Roofing repairs are relatively easy with composite shingles.
- Most brands offer Class A fire protection.
Disadvantages of Shingle Roofing
- Shingles are susceptible to high wind damage – strong winds can uplift or tear shingles off easily.
- Asphalt roof shingles not only transfer solar heat into your home, they can become damaged by the heat.
- Mildew problems caused by excess moisture pooling in shady areas of your roof can damage shingles easily.
- Depending on the type of shingle, asphalt roofs are easily outlasted by tile, slate and metal, lasting on average 15 to 30 years.
Hire The Right Contractor
If you need a new roof put on your house, shingle roofing is certainly a good option to consider. Affordability, versatility, ease of installation and repairs make shingle roofing an attractive option for any homeowner.
But remember, hiring a quality contractor who knows the ins and outs of the roofing installation process can make all the difference in the proper installation of a shingle roof. Mistakes are common, and there are plenty of fly-by contractors not interested in quality but a quick buck.
When re-roofing your home, selecting the right roofing contractor is key.
If you’re looking for a shingle roofing specialist with decades of roofing experience in both Delaware and Pennsylvania, contact All Roofing Solutions. We are a family owned & operated roofing contractor specializing in new roof installation and complete roofing replacements.
Call our DE office at 302-725-ROOF (7663) or our PA location at 610-551-ROOF (7663) for your FREE roofing installation estimate!