If you’ve decided to replace your roofing, you’ll want to compare the prices and services offered by multiple local contractors in order to decide which roofer is the best for the job. But in order to do that effectively you will need a checklist of everything you want so that you can present identical requirements to each contractor and receive comparable bids.
Save yourself some time and take the guesswork out of quote comparisons by building your roofing checklist before you start making the calls. Without a checklist, you’ll likely find that estimates can vary wildly from one contractor to the next, making the comparison that much harder.
Build a Checklist of What You Want
The first decision you’ll need to make is whether you want to repair your current roof or replace it outright. Generally speaking, if you’ve had recurring problems, or if your roof is more than 15 years old and is showing signs of significant wear, you’re better off replacing it than going with repairs.
Once you’ve decided that replacement is the way to go, spend some time building your requirements list so that you can present it to your selected contractors for bids. Here’s a rundown of all the items your roofing replacement checklist should include.
- Tear-off vs overlay.?Will you be tearing off or adding a new layer? In most places, homeowners are allowed up to two layers of shingles on their roofs. If your underlayment is still in good shape, you can save a bit of money by leaving it intact and adding a second layer of shingles. However, if your underlayment is worn, you should replace your roof outright instead of trying to cut corners.
- Size and materials. Calculate the total square footage of your roof, then decide which roofing material you want:
- Asphalt shingles are one of the most common and affordable options, but there are many others on the market.
- Slate roofing is costly, but extremely durable and very attractive.
- Metal roofing offers energy savings, outstanding fire protection and a lengthy lifespan.
- Concrete and ceramic tiles provide yet another strong and aesthetically pleasing option.
- Product comparisons. Once you’ve settled on a material, do some research into the various products available from manufacturers of that roofing material. Not all asphalt shingles are made equal, and you’ll want to choose a product with a high customer satisfaction rating. If you’ve opted for metal, consider the relative merits of stainless steel, aluminum and copper. Concrete tiles are generally more affordable than their ceramic counterparts, with ceramic offering enhanced performance characteristics that may make the extra investment worth it, depending on where you live.
- Warranty protections. In addition to comparing manufacturer warranties on the roofing materials you’ve selected, you should ask each contractor what kind of installation guarantees they offer. Workmanship isn’t covered by product warranties, so contractors need to provide added assurances that they stand by their work.?Contractor warranties range from 5 to 20 years depending on the system they install. The average workmanship warranty is 5 years.
If you’re considering a new roof, the best place to start is by hiring an experienced roofing contractor to do a thorough?roof inspection or request a re-roofing estimate directly. Remember that the lowest estimate you get isn’t necessarily the best! Make sure any contractor you consider provides several local client references, serves the area from a permanent location, and presents you with valid licensing and insurance information
Need A Roofer You Can Trust?
If you need an experienced Delaware or?Pennsylvania roofing contractor, well versed in the art of?shingle roofing installation, call All Roofing Solutions.?We offer generous warranties, top-quality materials and experienced installation professionals who get the job done right the first time.
WHAT SETS ALL ROOFING SOLUTIONS APART
- Family owned and operated Delaware & Pennsylvania roofing contractor.
- Fully licensed?and?insured.
- Nearly?20 years of experience?with roofing & siding installation and repair.
- A+ rated?BBB member
- Complimentary Extended Material warranty
- 30 year workmanship guarantee?on full roof replacements
- Lien Waver to protect the homeowners from material liens
- Own crew – no subcontractors!
- Handling all types of?residential?and?commercial?roofing,?windows?&?siding?projects.
- Most re-roofing projects are completed in?one day.
- Because we are?efficient?we are able to offer?very competitive prices?comparing to large contractors with bigger overhead.
- Each roofing/siding projects includes a meticulously performed, post-roofing?inspection. We want to make sure that your roof replacement is done correctly and that it meets with your complete satisfaction.
- All projects are supervised by company owner to ensure?high quality workmanship.
- Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed!
Call today at 302-725-ROOF (7663) in Delaware or 610-551-ROOF (7663) in Pennsylvania to request your Free Estimate! And don’t forget to ask about our discount of $400 off any complete roofing installation job!!!